Fire with Fire
Elgin Community College Public Safety Training Center
What does it take to provide top-notch training for first responders? In addition to a well-trained faculty, it requires some unique spaces built to take a beating. This new development of approximately 50 acres creates practical training facilities for police, fire, and other public services, such as EMT/Paramedics, within the Elgin Community College District and enhances the existing Fire Science and Public Safety curricula currently offered at the college.
The new building structures at the Public Safety Training Center include:
- an 18,000 SF Academic Building,
- a 10,000 SF Apparatus Building to accommodate training on fire and police equipment,
- a 3-story Fire Training Tower (or Burn Tower) to simulate both residential and commercial fire scenarios,
- and a Pump House/Grounds Storage Facility.
The site itself offers some unique features such as:
- a driving pad that includes a wet-weather skid pad to provide firsthand experience with advanced vehicle maneuver training,
- a pond used to draft the water for firefighter training,
- and a second pond used for search and rescue training.
Read about other projects to accommodate unique educational programs:
Other stunning projects for our amazing clients