New Washington Elementary School in Schiller Park has been awarded Outstanding Design in the Classrooms category in the 2022 American School & University Educational Interiors Showcase, the premier competition honoring education interiors excellence.
A jury of American Institute of Architects (AIA) members and education administrators evaluated submissions from architectural firms, schools, and universities across the country. Eighty projects were chosen for publication in AS&U, an educational facilities, purchasing, and business administration media brand reaching 57,000+ facility planners, school and university administrators, and architects with this issue. This is the 32nd year the competition has been held.
Each project was considered based on the following criteria:
- Spaces designed for student wellness and well-being
- Green spaces; use of sustainable materials
- Natural ventilation where possible
- Material selection that is warmer, friendlier, and helps control the spread of contagion
- Security features integrated into a building or campus
- Durability and flexibility; spaces that will be long-lasting and can be refreshed easily
- Facilities that enhance equity across a district or institution
- Easily maintained facilities
- Spaces that enhance mental health and connectiveness
- Facilities that incorporate daylighting
- Imaginative use of color and how it connects to education
- Spaces that are appropriate for age group they serve
- Universal design; spaces that minimize physical and social barriers and provide access to all
It will be featured in the August 2022 edition of the magazine and online at SchoolDesigns.com. An annual competition honoring excellence in educational interiors and facility planning, the Educational Interiors Showcase spotlights today’s most effective learning environments.
New Washington Elementary School, read more…