Position: PROJECT DESIGNER – Permanent, full-time
DLA Architects is looking for a passionate Project Designer with 5-10 years project experience in educational, commercial and/or park district architecture. The ideal candidate would be an energetic leader with the ability to interact and engage with clients and team members. Knowledge of 21st Century educational design principles a plus.
DLA is nationally ranked for educational architecture and one of the Midwest’s top overall architecture design firms.
We have a great company culture. We work hard, and we have a lot of fun. Our kitchen is stocked with healthy snacks and caffeinated beverages. Almost every week we host a luncheon with a continuing education program and once a month we provide a full, catered breakfast. Our conveniently located office building has an on-site deli, ATM, convenience store, and complimentary fitness center, along with miles of walking paths in a park-like setting. Once a quarter, we get together for a social outing with activities ranging from our annual summer picnic to Top Golf to go-kart races or laser tag. To top that off, we finish the work week with a happy hour.
- Competitive pay
- Partial reimbursement for membership in professional organizations, such as AIA
- 401k 3% Match
- BCBS Health
- Dental and Disability Insurance available
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Holidays
- Ability to work independently and under general direction only.
- Independently determine and develop approach to solutions.
- Prepare designs, sketches, diagrams, schematic drawings and working drawings.
- Adapt and modify design features and operational methods under Director of Design and Project Manager to meet project specifications.
- Engage clients and lead project teams.
- Able to undertake complex technical and design issues and develop solutions
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Must possess 5+ years of relevant experience as a project designer.
- Strong leadership, organizational, communication and relationship management skills.
- Ability to work well in team situations.
- Must have intermediate design and construction document production, standard construction techniques and principles.
- Computer skills required: Proficient in AutoCAD, Revit, Microsoft Office, 3-D programs, SketchUp and other modeling software programs.
- Working knowledge of design production techniques such as Adobe Graphics Suite (Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator) with Portfolio showing 3D visualization skills.
- LEED Accreditation or willingness to achieve within six months of hire.
- Architectural license a plus
- Ability to understand how buildings are constructed and to create technical documents that succinctly describe the work to be done
- Educational project experience is preferred.
- Master’s degree in Architecture
In order to be considered for this position, you must provide work samples or your portfolio with your resume. US experience (Illinois preferred) outlined above required.
Please submit cover letter and resume including work samples/portfolio via email in PDF form to Steven K. Wright, AIA.
No phone calls or drop-ins please.